This UCL IOE Health Check Tool will help organisations improve provision for English and maths. It forms part of the Strategic Guide for the delivery of GCSE English and maths to the 16-19 cohort.
This project was commissioned and funded by the Education and Training Foundation as part of a range of initiatives aiming to improve sector capacity and capability to deliver maths and English, to raise awareness and to directly support improved achievement in GCSE results.
UCL IOE conducted a rapid evidence review of policy, research and other documentation and carried out a wide range of stakeholder interviews to map where and how effective and promising practice in GCSE provision were taking place and to identify key success factors. A draft Health Check tool was generated from these findings, which was subsequently trialled with a number of maths and English providers before being finalised.
IOE would like to thank our partners at the five FE Colleges who participated in the research for this project:
- Simon Pollard, Angela Gallaher and Wendy Higgin, Accrington and Rossendale College.
- Tinyan Akin-Omoyajowo, Barking and Dagenham College.
- Suzanne Plaister, Emma Chatelier and Anastacia Johnson, East Berkshire College.
- Steve Fowler, Selby College.
- Alex Lindsay, South Leicestershire College.