In this paper we share the findings of a small development project that grew from the NRDC Effective Practice Study in writing (Grief et al.2007). The focus of the development project was collaborative writing. It looks at:
• some of the collaborative writing activities that teachers and learners undertook
• the responses of teachers and learners to these activities
• the value of the activities in terms of learners’ writing
• the role of the teacher in supporting collaborative writing
• the role of teaching and learning resources
• the wider benefits for learners of collaborative activities.